Re: Requesting list wisdom re gel battery and Battery Tender Plus

"Ben Barkow" <dr.ben@xxxxxxxxx> wrote

> I think trick charging is pure snake oil. For sure the bike's charger  is
> about as crude as anything you can buy at Harbor Freight so why  finesse
> the trivial (and largely needless) trickle tickle.

It does seem like a voodoo area. Nothing visible. Difficult to measure.

Nothing to go on except the resource websites ie battery and charger sites.
Also tech sites.

They all suggest the use of different charging cycles for best results
depending on the battery type ie wet cell, low maintenance, AGM, Gel etc.

Accumulating data from actual users is best. But often, too many variables
involved to allow for conclusions.
FWIW, I charge my AGM battery with my automotive automatic charger and have
had good service life to date.

Does my charger know to provide the right charging cycle? Dunno.

But I have monitored charging voltage throughout a charge cycle and have
observed intial charge at upper 14 volts, transitioning to 15's  a third of
the way through and then coming down to 14 something again to finally end up
at high 13's. So there is a cycle.  Which one?  Dunno.  But it seems to get
the job done as my battery ends up with 12.79 volts post charge. And I guess
that's what counts. So I keep using it.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929