Commuter Tires

Matt:

>Getting my 97 RT back in shape for the season...

>Front tire is worn. It's a Battlax BT54. Advice on replacement? I'm mostly
>commuting these days and otherwise am not an aggressive a rider. Mileage
>counts.

There are two tires I like for RTs.  The first is Metzler Z6.   The other one
is Bridgestone 020.

For commuting, I'd pick the Bridgestone.   The front tread scallops a bit with
a lot of front wheel braking, but that's not harmful and, overall, the 020
gives more life and corners better when worn down.

The Z6 has better feel and ultimate cornering, but it behaves rather badly
when worn and there are no tread wear markers on the back.  You just ride 'em
until the cords start to show through.

Some of the iron butt types around this list may have some ideas about
Michelins or some other tire.  These are the two I stick with.

DO NOT mess with synthetic brake fluid in BMWs.   I use ATE Type 200.  Super
Blue is the same stuff without blue dye in the fluid.    Just change the fluid
every year and you'll be fine.   The point is to remove the moisture from the
insides of the brake system.  Fluid is hygroscopic and, over a year or two,
it'll absorb some moisture.  This will cause problems with components like
master cylinders and calipers over time.   The other problem with having
moisture in your brakes is that water will boil if it gets hot enough.   On
long hills or during track sessions, the brakes can get hot enough to boil
water.  If it turns to steam, your lever will go all the way to the bar
without moving the brake pads.   This can be a little scary and it's why
everyone demands that you change fluid before a track day.

Synthetic fluid may be OK if you get the right kind, but the advantages are
not enough to justify the risks in my mind.

- -TB