Re: [BMWTech] Air box... why?

In a message dated 4/25/06 3:46:11 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
absdoug@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Why am I not better off ditching the  air box & two air filters direct off my
throttle bodies? Could use the  unused O2 sensor hole to create vacuum in the
engine. I ask this expecting to  learn why this idea is bad, so fire away. >>

The first thing that  comes to mind is the fact that the Fuel Injection
computer ASSUMES the airflow  based on the throttle butterfly position. Changing
the airflow characteristics  of the intake tract will alter the flow, and the
computer will have no way to  know and compensate.

Consider that virtually all  top-line sportbikes now have MASSIVE still-air
boxes in the intake systems.

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com