Re: Commuter Tires

In a message dated 4/26/06 7:19:20 AM Eastern  Standard Time,
emoto1@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I do stuff like that too (it's fun!),  but for the average Joe, who
doesn't have the kind of riding experience that  you (and some others
do) it is simply bad policy to run a tire down so far  that there is no
tread left in the center of the tire, nevermind cord  showing. Not only
is such a tire illegal in 50 states, but it offers reduced  traction in
many conditions and may also have a higher risk of puncture.  Unless
one is down to his last dollar, it just isn't worth running a  tire
that far down.>>

Again, I do not intentionally run my tires  down that far. But on this
PARTICULAR brand/model tire, there is no EFFECIVE  wear indicator. I have seen four
Z6 tires with indicators showing the tires  still had life. All four had cords
showing. It isn't about the "last dollar", it  is about not being able to
know the actual point when the tire is finished UNTIL  the cord appears.

Since there is no tread in that area of the tire, even  when new, the effect
on traction is minimal. Maybe a little exra wheelspin on  severe acceleration,
but that possibility is remote. When leaned over, where  traction is
important, there is plenty of rubber and tread. Since the rear brake  provides such
minimal braking that I never even step on the pedal, that is  simply not a
factor.

Tom Cutter
Yardley,  PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com