Re: [BMWMc] Test ride on R1200S and R1200RT

Indeed.

I talked with David Robb about saddlebag capacity and he indicated that, in
general, Europeans don't use them.  They tend to rely on larger trunklike
bags and tankbags to carry their stuff.  He felt this was because filtering
is normal in Europe and saddlebags can hinder that activity.

There are, of course, exceptions to that.  When I was at the Isle of Man a
few  years back, most of the riders that showed up were carrying their stuff
in tankbags, backpacks and tailbags.  Almost no bikes had saddlebags.

We're still in the early stages of the new bikes' development, so
accessories are still fairly unavailable.  It's only going to be a matter of
time before someone has Givi racks available for the sport bag equipped
bikes like the F800 and K12 series.  Personally, I think a set of Givis
would strike the perfect industrial/modernist note with the K12R.  Big,
gawky bracketry would look terrific.  On the R12S, which uses the small
bags, the racks could be made of tubing of the same diameter and

dave

On 5/19/06, Steve Makohin <wateredg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Truly, these bags' "usability" depends on the user's needs. They can
> contain
> stuff, so they are better than no bags at all. But they won't accommodate
> my
> laptop. On my last trip to Florida, during which I stayed at a friend's
> house, I packed for a week's worth of overnight stays in a hotel or his
> house, my System Cases were packed (including rain suit and Cobra bike
> lock), and I had to leave some stuff at home due to space constrictions.
>
> The glib response, which I also got from a BMW sales rep, is that the
> sports
> bags are big enough to carry "what you need" -- a credit card is for the
> rest (and I assume the things you buy with that credit card are either
> shipped back to your house, or discarded, as you don't have enough space
> take it back home with you on your bike).
>
> The point with the sport bags is that yes, they can carry stuff, but no,
> they are not *nearly* as voluminous as System Cases. YMMV.
>
> -Steve Makohin
> '01 R1100S/ABS
> Oakville, Ontario, Canada

- --