Re: clutch control failure

how is your adjustment on bolt 8?  you might not be getting enough rod travel.  If the rod moves in and out the clutch should still act normally.  How many miles on it?

paige

- -----Original Message-----
From: Mark Rivera <marr@xxxxxxxx>
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, 28 May 2006 02:18:50 -0500
Subject: clutch control failure

Definitely having a problem with the clutch system.. 02/97 R1100R..

If you follow the clutch cable from the handgrip, down along the side of the engine, you get to a lever where the cable attaches. Its item 6 here, shown vertical instead of horizontal as on the bike:

http://ascycles.com/Illustrated_catalog/r1100r(95-99)/images/r1100r(95-99)61.gif

The rubber boot (number 5) was completely torn circumferentially at the lever-side. I'm not sure how long it has been that way but I assume it has to have been no earlier than mid-February (7k mi ago) when I had the clutch plate etc replaced.

The problem I'm having is *like* the rod (number 1) isn't pushing back on the lever. The small spring (number 3) in there doesn't seem to be broken.

There were some small (1" long, 1/8" thin) shredded and disfigured shards bound up in the area between the spring and piston. They feel like plastic. (Is the piston plastic? Did it shred in the absence of a grease-filled boot and jam? I wonder...)

The engine runs. The bike drives/rides/whatever. I was about a block from where I was going when the clutch lever went soft - had just completed a 40mi ride on the highway. I downshifted while slowing to a stop, so I can shift, but as far as I can tell the clutch isn't disengaging.

That's about all I have to go on at this point. Just kind of looking for "oh yeah that might be X, Y, or Z problem" or any thoughts before I take it in to have the dealership look at it.

Thanks,
Mark