RE: Gearbox noise

Cees,
Not to go against Tom's advice at all but my 1100RT has been LOUD in 3rd and
4th gear from day one.   It had gradually reduced in loudness especially in
4th where it is now fairly quiet, possibly because I use it more than 3rd.

Sometimes, given the noise level I have expected to find metal swarf in the
oil (I change all oils every 10000km) but, no, the oil is coming out as
clean as it went in and very little on the magnet.

Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
'96 R850R 85kkm
'01 R1100RT 75kkm
===========================
Hi,

My '99 R1100RT always had a very audible gearbox, more so than my previous
bike, an R80RT. I think it is largely due to the fairing - it seems like the
gear whine bounces off the front and then up through the hole between tank
and instrument panel.

Lately, it has become much louder, and I wonder what this could be.
I'm going to have a BMW guy listen to it, but just wondering if there are
any standard issues with the gearbox. Hopefully they fixed the circlip issue
I had with the R80 by now ;-).

TIA,

Cees