Re: The Low-Down on Bike ABS, Linked and EVO Brakes

Hello Wayne,

From: "Wayne Woodruff" <wayne@xxxxxxxxx>

> You state the following:
>
> "Maximum stopping power, that is the greatest rate of deceleration, can
> be attained just *before* a wheel locks up."
>
> I would argue that the maximum coefficient of friction is when the
> wheel *is* locked up, therefore, the greatest rate of deceleration.
>
> Comments?

(1) On a motorcycle, it's a moot point, as the front wheel provides most of,
and up to 100% of the stopping power, and a locked front wheel spells a high
dropability of a dropped bike. (Most folks will want to hit the delete
button now)

(2 ) I can provide only a layman's response. Those seeking one in terms of
physics should run off to the library and start reading.

(3) People will have observed apparent contractions to this, such as

   Q:: Does a car stop quicker on snow with a lockup? Why?