Re: The Low-Down on Bike ABS, Linked and EVO Brakes

On 6/14/06, Minor, Bob <Bminor@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is sliding friction and static friction, and in almost all cases
> (I don't know of any exceptions, but I've read that they exist), once
> you pass from a static condition to a sliding condition, the coefficient
> of friction is reduced.

Actually, it appears that mu, i.e., the coefficient of friction, is at
its maximum value when the wheel-tire is slipping somewhere between
10% to 20%.  IOW, it is still turning, but is doing so somewhat slower
than your actual forward speed.   At least this appears to be the case
for aircraft tires on the runway.  Google: runway friction.  Can't
think of a reason why it wouldn't also apply to motorcycle tires.

- --
cheers... jack