Re: The Low-Down on Bike ABS, Linked and EVO Brakes

Hello Geoffrey ,

From: <RSRiding@xxxxxxx>

> In a message dated 6/14/2006 12:04:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> wateredg@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> ABS is an acronym for Anti-lock Brake System.
>
> I realize this may be just semantics, but I don't think ABS is an acronym
> for
> Anti-lock Braking System.
>
> anti-lock braking system (commonly known as ABS, from the German name
> "Antiblockiersystem" given to it by its inventors at Bosch) is a system on
> motor
> vehicles which prevents the wheels from locking while braking.
> From Wikipedia
>
> Just thought we ought to get that out of the way. Now, back to the
> discussion.

Yes, it is just semantics. If you do a Google search for "Anti-lock Brake
System" you'll get 255,000 hits, whereas "Anti-lock Braking System" gets
885,000 hits. You'll see "Anti-lock Braking System" used about 3 times more
often than "Anti-lock Brake System", but you'll still see "Anti-lock Brake
System" used a helluva lot.

Feel free to use either one. They are equally effective.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada