Re: The Low-Down on Bike ABS, Linked and EVO Brakes

Steve

Great write up on ABS, you have obviously put a lot of thought into it and
you explain it well.

I wanted to give you the heads up on one very minor error however.

It is not accurate to say that EVO brakes are also known as "servo equipped"
brakes, as you state in your writing. The latest generation servo assisted
ABS system from BMW is not called EVO, it is known as Integral ABS, or
I-ABS. Some 2002 and later EVO equipped models do not have ABS at all.

The term EVO brakes refers to three changes introduced in 2002,  new larger
diameter brake rotors (from 305mm to 320mm),  a change from Brembo calipers
to the lighter Tokico calipers, and a change in the leverage ratio with a
new master cylinder piston diameter. The EVO calipers just say BMW on them,
where the earlier calipers said Brembo on them as I'm sure you know. BMW
claims that with the new EVO brakes, the effort at the brake lever for the
same braking force has been reduced by 15 percent, and that maximum braking
force has increased 15-20 percent. So you see EVO has nothing to do with
ABS. For example, I worked on an EVO brake equipped R1150R a few days ago
that did not have ABS.

I realize that this is just about words and titles and you're probably
thinking picky picky picky and it is trivial considering all the detail in
your writing. I'm not trying to be a snob, I'm just trying to help. Based on
how much you have put into this piece, I figure you would like it to be as
accurate as possible, and I thought I could contribute to your excellent
effort.

I went through the BMW I-ABS factory training when it was introduced, and I
can tell you that many technicians were also confused about the wording at
first, but it was made very clear in the training.

What you should be saying if you want to be really accurate, is that the
servo equipped ABS brakes are also known as Integral ABS or I-ABS.

I haven't read your whole article, but I'll try to when I can find the time.
Bravo for your presentation.

Cheers,
Ted Porter
Scotts Valley, Ca.
www.BeemerShop.com

[original message snipped by list owner... it would have forced the
issuance of another digest and readers really don't need to see it again]