Re: '96 R1100RSL

In a message dated 6/15/06 4:34:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tbagtim@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm also curious about the "core" designation. I didn't have to return the
old one and cannot really see the value of doing so. Could I have saved some
money here? Does BMW remanufacture the joints or do some post-mortem on them?

It also shows +core for the sliders and front frame.  I worked in a shop for
a while and don't remember any parts being returned as cores or a core charge
on any parts.  Only parts that were changed under warranty would be returned
if requested, often they were field scrapped by the area rep.

I wonder if the +core designation on the parts listing might be a holdover
from early oilhead days?  Perhaps parts were returned in Germany for evaluation?
 It's also possible that early on they envisioned some rebuild programs that
were later determined to not be cost effective.

Cheers
Paul
NJ