Re: Oil Filter

I did a web search for the Bosch and found that Bob's is now selling it as
a replacement. Since this filter is $4..$5 in my area, it looks like a good
candidate. The Bosch oil filters do well in the comparison tests that can
be found by searching the Internet (some motorcycle, some car) and all the
tests indicate that it is made by Champion Labs (same as the Mobil-1).
Thanks to all for some decent commentary to my original vague post (sorry
about that). I have no trouble paying for factory parts when there is no
alternative, they really are better or the price is decent. However,
lubricants, filters and spark plugs are subject to better third party
suppliers or OEM suppliers without the BMW markup (e.g., NGK BKR7EKC-N
spark plugs for the R11xx).

Again, thanks to all!

At 15:46 06/17/2006, you wrote:

>At 02:04 PM 6/17/2006 -0400, William M. Moss wrote:
>>The original filter appears to be a Mahle OC91.
>
>Correct.  The OC91D1 is the K-bike version and includes the O-ring
>and various crush washers.  The OC91 is for Oilheads and includes the
>crush washers too.
>

>>The Bosch, if made in the US, is probably a Champions Lab, which means it
>>could be anything from OK to excellent.
>That eBay link John referenced is charging about double what you
>can buy the Bosch 72161 filter for here:
>https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,23,72161
>Most of the Pep Boys and Checker Autos here in AZ stock this
>filter. The guy on eBay has been very careful to NOT let you see the
>Bosch P/N in his pictures. : ))
>
>Mick
>Tucson
>

>>At 12:21 06/17/2006, you wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >I just purchased some Bosch filters from eBay:
>> >http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R-Oilhead-K-BOSCH-OIL-FILTERS-x-6-pc_
>> W 0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35617QQitemZ4649596020QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
>

>--

William (Bill) Moss
         billmoss@xxxxxxx

Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and
those who dare not, are slaves.
         Lord Byron
God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard
and defend it.
       Daniel Webster
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.