Re: Backfiring '94 R11RS

One time, on my '94 R1100RS, a tiny pebble got wedged in the right
hand throttle body pulley, under the cable. It caused some
interesting symptoms.

It caused the throttle bodies to be out of sync...which I corrected a
idle and low rpms, but it was impossible to balance them at midrange
rpms (where the pebble interfered with the cable). The bike would
stumble and backfire when decelerating in the midrange.

I happened to see the pebble while I was looking for an intake
leak...thinking that was the problem.

One time the dealer only finger-tightened one of the sparkplugs after
a tuneup. That caused some backfiring too.

The nuts bolting the exhaust pipe to the head were loose one time.
That was long ago, but I seem to remember that caused some backfiring.

There's also the possibility the throttle body butterfly valve shafts
are worn and you've got an intake leak there...
http://largiader.com/tech/tb/

Let us know what you find.

Karl