Re: Alternator Belt service

In a message dated 7/30/06 7:00:41 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
bradearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Ok so now I am really  confused!!
I thought upgrading to the new system was considered a good  idea.
Is this not the case?
The drift of what I got from your message, is  this, it is better belt but
maybe not worth upgradeing from the system I have  now?
Gator in Dallas>>

I would not do the upgrade.

There  WAS an early upgrade, only affected very early Oilheads. That one I DO
 recommend. I forgot about that one when responding to your post.

I  replace my 2000 R1100S belt every 24000 miles, using a 5 04 024 0 Dayco
Poly Cog  Belt, which I get from my local auto parts store. The BMW belts are
always  partially failed by 12000 miles, when I use them, the Dayco belt just
looks like  new when I change it at 24K intervals.

I am very careful with  tensioning.

Tom Cutter
Yardley,  PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com