Re: Radial tyre repair ?

On Aug 9, 2006, at 6:46 AM, Michael D. Ash wrote:

> I use the sticky string plugs while out on the road and usually

Caveat ride-or:

I picked up a nail on my way home from WY this summer, <200 miles
from home. A nice fellow in Roosevelt WA (town too small to have a
repair shop!) helped me install his last sticky string repair "plug"
with plenty of glue. I rode gingerly home to Portland, and on the way
(unbeknownst to me) air pressure leaked in between the inner and
outer rubber layers, inflating a de-laminated section of tread to
about the size & shape of 1/2 an egg. This "bubble" was quite worn by
the time I noticed it, in my driveway, and could've caused an ugly
spill (or worse) if it'd burst before we got home.

My take-away: if I can't repair from the inside, inspect frequently
for de-lamination or other consequences of an incomplete puncture
repair.

Careful out there!

- -Allen

L. Allen Poole