Lost Compression

Wondering if this happened to anyone on the list.  My ride is 99 R1100RT w/ 42000k miles.  One day I tried to start the bike and found it ran very bad.  It felt like running on one cylinder.  Bike simply couldn't go far and ended up towed to dealer.  Initial diagnostic shows I lost compression on one cylinder.  The shop has not taken the bike a pieces yet.

Has anyone experienced bike w/ such low milage w/ (1) stuck valve?  (2) blown seal of any sort?  (3) bad luck???

Since I did majority of work, the bike received regularly services (valve adj, oil chg...)

THANKS