Re: Premature clutch failure

A friend of mine bought a new (at the time) R1150GS Adventure. He is in his
50's ergo does not do the "dumb kid stuff" IE: burnouts, wheelies etc. He
would occasionaly ask me if a bike as new as his should use oil, and I told
him that my experience with broken in oilheads was that they usually don't.
He did tell me that sometimes he found a couple of drops of oil on the
ground near the center of the engine/gearbox. at aproximately 19k his clutch
began to slip. Long story short, he had a faulty rear main seal which
allowed oil onto the clutch plates. The BMW dealer (Hermies-Port Clinton,
Pa. got BMW to spring for the fix-apparently this was not the first time
they have seen this with 2000 and up oilheads. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Will

gator wrote:

> See I told ya I was a Dumb A**!!
> Forgot to mention all the important stuff..
> 2000 R1100 RS. Bike only has 17K.
> It was Adjusted correctly when I left for Vacation. Meaning I had the 5 mm
> and the Handle and 12 MM at the adjusting Screw.
> When It slipped on me I noticed it was Tight at the handle pulled over and
> was able to get play back at the handle (not the total amount I wanted!).
>
> Thanks
> Gator in Dallas
>
>> Gator,  What bike? What mileage?  Do you have play in the cable when
>> the clutch lever is released?  So you have play in the adjustment at
>> the clutch end of the cable when released?
>>
>> Bob Hadden GS Gone, '62R27
>>
>> On Aug 26, 2006, at 10:00 AM, gator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Ok So we can start with I am a dumb ***.
>>> 6k trip adjusted all the cables ect before I left. On the way home
>>> guess
>>> My Clutch cable got out of adjustment Dont know if it was clutch wear
>>> or
>>> what.
>>> All was fine untill about 50 miles from home I went to pass a truck (I
>>> live in Texas so it was about 105) Pulling up the hill fine all of a
>>> sudden clutch starts to slip.
>>> That is when I notice clutch cable is tight.
>>> Took it easy all the rest of the way home.
>>> Adjusted the cable and took it out for a ride yesterday and I can brak
>>> the
>>> clutch loose at about 6k RPM in 5th gear.
>>> 2 questions.
>>> What would cause this kind of failure. Keep in mind I had been in the
>>> rockies and had cause to heavy accelerate up much worse hills with no
>>> problems.
>>> second (pretty sure I know this answer) Am I looking at a clutch plate
>>> replacement or do I do the whole clutch pak assembly?
>>> Thanks Gator in Dallas

- --
Sent from the BMW Oilheads mailing list archive at Nabble.com.