Re: bad gas mileage

Hello Bob,

From: "Minor, Bob" <MinorB@xxxxxxxx>

> Take a look for the CAT code plug, if the PO took it out to reduce
> surging (pretty common on a '96) mileage can increase considerably,
> especially if a lot of stop and go is involved.  And speaking of city
> driving, doing short trips on my RS would yield less than 40 mpg, while
> continuous highway riding at brisk speed would deliver just under 50.
> These bikes don't like to go slow.

In your reply, above, you state that "if the [previous owner] took [the cat
code plug] out to reduce surging, [gas] mileage can increase considerably."

I believe you intended to end that sentence with "[gas] *consumption* can
increase considerably", which would mean reduced mileage. The CCP, or
Catalytic converter Code Plug tells the Motronic which fuel map to use.
Removing the CCP and rebooting the Motronic defaults it to the "full rich"
setting.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada