Re: bad gas mileage

There are far too many possible reasons. I get 46-52 on my '98 R11RT,
according to speed and load and 35-38 in pure traffic (think Manhattan).
If you live in the NY City area, I can check out the bike for you (no
charge, its a hobby). Otherwise, the standard reasons are fuel leaks,
vacuum leak (which would effect mostly idle), timing, fuel pressure
regulator, and other things that would probably effect running.

Brake drag is a common problem with bikes that have been on the shelf
for a while. The best way to fix this is to change the pads and brake
fluid. Sometimes a few really hard stops will help. If you have brake
drag, the rotors will be very hot even after a couple of miles steady
riding (no stops).

Low tire pressure could also be a factor.

I would suggest getting a good manual (Clymer is fine) and giving the
bike a major tune up.

BTW: What plugs did you use. The original Bosch are a poor choice and
the recommendations of the list are mostly anecdotal; BMW switched to
NGK and that is what I use. In fact, I have been using them since NGK
made them available since they were specifically designed for the R11
and R1150.

rchitwoo wrote:
> I, started riding my 1996 r1100rt 4 months ago. I have noticed it gets about
> 34.8 mpg this seems really bad.  The bike seems to run just fine but the
> mileage is poor.  I only have 26K on it and no history of prior maintenance
> other than I changed the plugs at 23k.

- --
William (Bill) Moss
billmoss@xxxxxxx
  Those who will not reason,
  are bigots,
  those who cannot,
  are fools,
  and those who dare not,
  are slaves.
by Lord Byron
  God grants liberty only to those who love it,
  and are always ready to guard and defend it.
by Daniel Webster