Re: change of subject

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <tpcutter@xxxxxxx>
> <<
> PS: I agree 100% with Tom Cutter. In a low-sider you may hang on to the
> bar, but
> in a high-sider best to get away from the bike. I had both, I experienced
> the
> feeling. >>
>
> Maybe I didn't make it clear. In a crash, you are going wherever the bike
> tosses you. There is way more energy than you have any hope of hanging
> onto. If you are able to "ride out" a lowside, you probably could have
> avoided it in the fiorst place.
>
> NEVER stop turning, baking and riding, until the wheels are higher than
> your head. Many crashes occur when the rider stops trying to ride the
> bike.
>
> Tom Cutter
> Yardley, PA
> www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com

I have to toss in my two cents here because I couldn't agree more with Tom's
comments. There are several variables at work in a crash obviously such as
speed, whether other vehicles are involved and so on. I am no accident
expert, but I do speak from experience after totaling my new '04 R1150RT in
a high speed low side two years ago. It was my first major crash in over 30
years of street riding on BMW motorcycles. Aside from many hematomas, a
partial tear of my left MCL, and compression fractures of two vertebrae
(anterior cracks at T4 and T5) I survived the accident thanks to good riding
gear. I'm a musician and mechanic, I count on good finger dexterity,
thankfully I had recently purchased road race gloves with armor. I think a
lot of folks overlook quality gloves when buying riding gear.

A friend who was riding behind me just happened to be filming the ride with
a helmet cam, so my entire accident is on video. This gave me a chance to
analyze the accident and determine what I did wrong. I'm thankful for the
video because the crash was so violent (~65 MPH lowside into a tall dirt
embankment) and it was over so fast, I had no idea what happened until I
viewed the video.  Physics took over and I was tossed, rolled and tumbled
like a rag doll. To think that I could have had some control over my body
during the crash is laughable.

Ted Porter
Scotts Valley, Ca.
www.BeemerShop.com