Re: change of subject

Hello Ted,

From: "Ted Porter" <tporter@xxxxxxxxxx>

I *think* Tom Cutter was talking about something different -- The "moments
of peril" in which the bike is leaning over too far for the rider's comfort.
Note that the specific conditions under which a rider feels he is in peril
are subjective, and different per rider.

I believe Tom was noting that when many riders enter this "moment of peril",
they tend to do the wrong thing, such as:

 o Right the bike, hit the brakes, and hope to stop in time. We've seen a
   recent video of a rider do this (or was it on another list?) and the
   rider was just dumb lucky to come out of it unscathed.

 o Give up, and deliberately drop the bike (AKA "had to lay 'er down"),
   thereby committing to having "an accident" rather than trying to avoid
   one.

I have to side with Tom, in that many riders underestimate the abilities of
their machine. This happens because they don't know the actual limits of
their machine, and they are reacting in accordance to perceived limits. A
rider will avoid leaning over what they believe is "too far" for fear of a
low side, not knowing that the bike can lean still further and not lose its
grip. This is very common amongst riders who are not proficient at
performance riding on a track, which covers most riders.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada