Re: change of subject

I knew, I'll change the subject.
Bob Silas
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ted Porter
  To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 12:40 PM
  Subject: Re: change of subject

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: <tpcutter@xxxxxxx>
  > <<
  > PS: I agree 100% with Tom Cutter. In a low-sider you may hang on to the
  > bar, but
  > in a high-sider best to get away from the bike. I had both, I experienced
  > the
  > feeling. >>
  >
  > Maybe I didn't make it clear. In a crash, you are going wherever the bike
  > tosses you. There is way more energy than you have any hope of hanging
  > onto. If you are able to "ride out" a lowside, you probably could have
  > avoided it in the fiorst place.
  >
  > NEVER stop turning, baking and riding, until the wheels are higher than
  > your head. Many crashes occur when the rider stops trying to ride the
  > bike.
  >
  > Tom Cutter
  > Yardley, PA
  > www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com

  I have to toss in my two cents here because I couldn't agree more with Tom's
  comments. There are several variables at work in a crash obviously such as
  speed, whether other vehicles are involved and so on. I am no accident
  expert, but I do speak from experience after totaling my new '04 R1150RT in
  a high speed low side two years ago. It was my first major crash in over 30
  years of street riding on BMW motorcycles. Aside from many hematomas, a
  partial tear of my left MCL, and compression fractures of two vertebrae
  (anterior cracks at T4 and T5) I survived the accident thanks to good riding
  gear. I'm a musician and mechanic, I count on good finger dexterity,
  thankfully I had recently purchased road race gloves with armor. I think a
  lot of folks overlook quality gloves when buying riding gear.

  A friend who was riding behind me just happened to be filming the ride with
  a helmet cam, so my entire accident is on video. This gave me a chance to
  analyze the accident and determine what I did wrong. I'm thankful for the
  video because the crash was so violent (~65 MPH lowside into a tall dirt
  embankment) and it was over so fast, I had no idea what happened until I
  viewed the video.  Physics took over and I was tossed, rolled and tumbled
  like a rag doll. To think that I could have had some control over my body
  during the crash is laughable.

  Ted Porter
  Scotts Valley, Ca.
  www.BeemerShop.com