Re: two engines (was: GasMileage/Surging)

Hello Paul,

From: <PGK75S@xxxxxxx>

[...]
> Not only engines, I asked a friend who's logged many hours in FA-18
> Hornets,
> he confirmed that two "identical" airplanes can feel very different.
> Personally, I've always felt that having two engines on an airplane only
> doubles your
> chances of an engine failure. ;o)

Aviation stats show that pilots in twin-engine planes with a single-engine
failure tend to do worse than pilots in a single-engine plane with engine
failure. I kid you not. That's because twin-engine planes typically have
asymmetrical thrust (one engine in a nacelle on each wing, left and right),
and when an engine fails, it produces a fair bit of drag, and the wing on
which it is mounted tends to drop. In other words, the plane's handling
characteristics change dramatically. It takes skill and training and
*practice* to master flying a twin-engine plane with a single-engine
failure.

I mention this because it carries with our theme: Not knowing how something
works. A twin engine aircraft provides the *potential* for added safety in
the event of a single-engine failure. The belief that a twin-engine plane is
a safer plane is one reason for their popularity. Most pilots don't take the
necessary steps to realize that potential extra safety, and by failing to do
so, they actually introduce higher risk by flying a twin -- The exact
opposite of what they believe they are doing. And they will fly, day in and
day out, believing they are safer. Until their belief is put to the test.
That's when many who take that test become a statistic.

I've said it before: It is human nature to make decisions that are based on
beliefs, and not necessarily on facts.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada