Re: head gaskets

> At that location I would suspect the valve cover gaskets instead of the
> head gaskets.

Nope. Definitely the head gaskets. Number 10 here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0407&mospid=47947&btnr=11_1838&hg=11&fg=20

Two more related questions -

Am I reading that chart correctly? Since my moto is 02/1997, I need the
"cyl head gasket, FOUR components", or does the 08/1997 in the chart
mean that from that date on, they only sell the THREE-component one?

Second question is, is it possible that the bolts holding the cylinder
on just need to be retorqued? Or is the gasket seal shot, now that it
has been compromised?

Thanks,
Mark