Re: head gaskets

Sorry, but I have to ask, do you mean Head Gaskets, or Valve Cover Gaskets.

I've been using the same Valve Cover Gaskets for about 6 years.
Sometimes I see weaping oil and leaks around the valve covers and the oil
filler.

The leaks are caused by not cleaning and drying the Valve Cover Gasket
completely before putting it back on after valve adjustment.

I also had a bad gasket behind one of the 4 bolts which hold the valve
cover on.  For a long time I had weeping oil at the oil filler hole, but it
was the valve cover bolt gasket causing the problem, I was looking for the
leak in the wrong place.

For the Valve Cover Gaskets, I wipe them off, wash them with a dish washing
liquid to cut the oil and let them dry.  If I don't do this, I get small
leaks around the Valve Cover.

Best,

Dean Wegner
R1100RT '96