Re: starter question

At 08:02 AM 10/21/2006 -0400, Sioux Harris wrote:
>  My 95 R1100R has been having a "starting" problem for some time.
>It is NOT the battery- I've replaced it with a new gel one and the problem
>still exists.
>
>Sometimes you push the starter button and there is NOTHING.
>Sometimes you push the starter button and there is clicking. Sometimes you
>push the starter button and she starts.
>
>Lately more "nothings" and clicks" to the point where I panic that I will be
>stuck where I am.
>
>Starter? Relay? Solenoid?
>I got the big Clymers manual- that says the starter cannot be serviced, it
>needs to be replaced. Is this true?
>
>Thanks on advance
>Sioux in NY

Sioux,
   You need to put a meter on the solenoid to see if you are
actually sending the 12V from the starter relay in the relay
box down to the solenoid.  If the solenoid is failing, you might
hear it chatter loudly.  You 'can' buy parts for this starter from:
http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/valeo.html

   I recently had a 'chattering' problem on my '96 R1100RT up
in Yellowstone.  It was 23 degrees and if I just held the start
button down, the chattering would turn to good cranking noises.
When I got home, I removed and cleaned/lubed the starter.  There
was some very heavy grease on the solenoid piston.  I cleaned that
off and put a very light coat of synthetic grease on the piston.

Mick
Tucson