Hall Sensors?

I had a wonderful two weeks riding in the White and Green mountains
the first 3 weeks of October. The day that I started back to Toronto
the bike started easily and as I was turning around it stalled, as it
often does when cold but absolutely would not restart. It cranked and
cranked and I could hear the fuel pump pumping but nothing, nothing
fired. Finally I had to leave the bike with a neighbour (who is an
Anonymous member) and return to Toronto via cage. (My wife and puppy
take turns driving the car while I ride). I was able to arrange with
Max BMW of Portsmouth to pick up the bike this week and take it in
for repair. (A great service by the way, they are at least two hours
away from where the bike was left.)

On Saturday I got the verdict, the Hall sensors had shattered. It
apparently took a long time to diagnose, as none of the usual
diagnostic paradigms worked and they finally disassembled the
charging system where they found the damage. (The upside is that I
get to do a late season ride back to Toronto)

My question what's a Hall Sensor and more importantly, what could
cause it  (them) to break/shatter. Is there anything i can do to
prevent this from happening again?

Thank you for any insights.

Nahum Sloan, Toronto
1999 R1100R