Re: Hall Sensors?

At 09:12 AM 11/5/2006 -0500, abbot@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>I had a wonderful two weeks riding in the White and Green mountains
>the first 3 weeks of October. The day that I started back to Toronto
>the bike started easily and as I was turning around it stalled, as it
>often does when cold but absolutely would not restart. It cranked and
>cranked and I could hear the fuel pump pumping but nothing, nothing
>fired. Finally I had to leave the bike with a neighbour (who is an
>Anonymous member) and return to Toronto via cage. (My wife and puppy
>take turns driving the car while I ride). I was able to arrange with
>Max BMW of Portsmouth to pick up the bike this week and take it in
>for repair. (A great service by the way, they are at least two hours
>away from where the bike was left.)
>
>On Saturday I got the verdict, the Hall sensors had shattered. It
>apparently took a long time to diagnose, as none of the usual
>diagnostic paradigms worked and they finally disassembled the
>charging system where they found the damage. (The upside is that I
>get to do a late season ride back to Toronto)
>
>My question what's a Hall Sensor and more importantly, what could
>cause it  (them) to break/shatter. Is there anything i can do to
>prevent this from happening again?
>
>Thank you for any insights.
>
>Nahum Sloan, Toronto

Nahum,
   Read about them here:
http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/oilhead_hall_sensors.pdf
and some of the other articles here: http://users.rcn.com/dehager/
Someone is pulling your leg.  The Hall Effect Sensors will NOT shatter because
there is normally no mechanical interference between the timing cup and the
sensors themselves.  Are you SURE they said they were physically broken?
I'd like to have the old sensor and will pay postage if you'll send it to
me in
Tucson.  IF there was contact between the sensors and the timing cup, Yes,
it could very easily damage the Hall Effect Devices themselves.

Mick
Tucson