Re: Newbie intro

Hello Ian,

From: "Ian Ellison" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Just signed up as I have bought a 1999 R1100S. I've had a couple of BMWs
> before, an R1150GS and an R100S, but I tend to buy Italian bikes on the
> whole. I'm a lost cause...
>
> I'll have some daft questions to bother you with I'm sure: to start (feel
> free to slap me and point me at a FAQ if there is one) the bike has
> pannier
> racks but no panniers. Which models does the R1100S share pannier fitments
> with? I made a list of the various combinations when I had the GS but I've
> lost it (I fitted RT boxes on that with an exhaust lowering kit).

Welcome aboard! The R1100S can accommodate the BMW System Cases, which are
large, hard-shell, locking cases whose tumblers can be matched to your
ignition key (one key starts the bike and unlocks all cases). That's what I
have, and I love them. The R1100S's cases are "full cases" without the need
for lost volume to accommodate a muffler. I have no idea of which other
bikes share the same cases with the R1100S.

In case you're not aware, there are two other lists you may want to consider
joining:

bmwmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Over 1000 members, BMW motorcycle content only (K, F,
Oilheads, Airheads). Somewhat political, and rigidly moderated.

mac-pac-l@xxxxxxxx: About 200 members. Mostly BMW motorcycle content, but
pretty well anything is fair game. Very friendly and social.

I belong to all 3, and I use my email client (Outlook Express) to sort the
mail into various folders to make it easily manageable.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada