RE: Replacement grip w/ Heated grips

Steve,

Both the left and right heater handles are the same size.  If you can imagine
this, think of a hollow plastic tube with a wire wrapped and glued around it.
Then its slipped over the ends of the bars. Voila, heated bars.  The one on
the right is also the throttle, so it can spin on the bar.  But the outside
diameter of both left and right are the same.  As I mentioned, you need 2
pairs of grips (size 7/8 inch), the larger of the two fits both sides. I
changed mine this winter, so just to be certain, I checked the BMW parts
numbers of the heating elements of your R1150R, and my R1150rs, same numbers.
regards, paul

> From: s.l.berto@xxxxxxxxx> To: pkalichman@xxxxxxxxxxx; oilheads@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Replacement grip w/ Heated grips> Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 10:25:58
-0500> > Paul,> > Thanks for the reply. I have picked up a set of grips, where
the one is> larger than the other. I haven't been able to fit it on the bike
as it has> been raining and I don't have a garage. My only question is if the
larger> grip from the pair I bought fits the left grip, wouldn't I need a
larger one> still for the throttle grip on my bike? The throttle grip isn't
torn at this> point so if I don't replace it I will have grips that don't
match, but if I> remove the throttle grip I am afraid that I would need a grip
that would be> larger than the larger grip in the pair I bought (if that makes
any sense to> you).> > Steve Berto> s.l.berto@xxxxxxxxx> ----- Original
Message -----> From: paul kalichman> To: Linda & Steve Berto ;
oilheads@xxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:28 PM> Subject: RE:
Replacement grip w/ Heated grips> > > Just pick up 2 pairs of standard grips
from any bike shop. One grip will be> larger then the other. The large one is
for the right hand side, the throttle.> The other is smaller, designed for the
bare metal bar on the left side. You> want to use the 2 designed for the
throttle, toss the 2 lefts. They will fit> your heated grips just fine. Of
course you will not have BMW grips anymore,> so if this distresses you, I
advise against it.> > You must be careful removing the old grips as the
heating wires can be> easily damaged. If they are damaged, don't fret. You can
simply overlay> snowmobile heating elements on top of the old heating wires,
and solder them> to the existing wiring.> > > regards,> paul> > pickering,
ont> >
----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
-> > From: s.l.berto@xxxxxxxxx> > To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx> > Subject:
Replacement grip w/ Heated grips> > Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 05:39:58 -0500> >>
> The left grip on my 2002 R1150R has split in a few places. I tried to get>
a> > replacement grip at the dealer and was told that I would have to buy the>
grip> > along with the heating element since I have heated grips. The parts>
person> > tried to sell me just a grip with the hopes it would fit but it is
not> large> > enough to go over the bars with the heating element.> > Here are
all the numbers on the package for the part he sold me:> > B20 04 02 32 72 1
458 395> > 58366 Handle B> > 2848759> > 05/045 0404025> >> > I am not that
familiar with BMW parts numbers so I am not sure which of> these> > numbers is
the part numbers so I included all the numbers on the package.> > Does anyone
know if there is just a replacement grip that I can buy (OEM> or> >
aftermarket) that will fit over the heating element for my heated grips?> >> >
Steve Berto> > 2002 R1150R> > Annandale, Va> > s.l.berto@xxxxxxxxx> > > >
-> Get news, entertainment and everything you care about at Live.com. Check
it> out!
Explore the seven wonders of the world