RE: oilheads-digest V4 #95

> Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:52:24 -0700
> From: "Dan Fordice" <kari.dan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: front disk rollers
>

> The front rotors on my 2000 R1100R have started rattling when
> I go over
> small bumps. I can grab the rotors and wiggle them from side
> to side, and
> when I apply the brakes the rattling stops. Obviously I need
> to replace the
> rollers, but in the meantime I have a couple of questions:
> Any idea how long
> I can continue riding with the old rollers? Is it a safety
> hazard? Will
> continued use damage other parts of the brake assembly? My daughter is
> getting married in a few weeks so my wife has informed me that I have
> neither the time nor the money nor the inclination to repair
> the bike right
> now, but I would like to go for a short ride now and then.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dan Fordice
>

> Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 01:28:39 -0400
> From: Robert Silas <robert.silas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: front disk rollers
>
> If the rotor has lateral movement, that's not too bad, it's
> rideable, it's
> designed for that. The circular movement (looseness) is an
> indication that
> the disk cutting into the "rollers", into the pins. I had
> quite a lot of the
> latter when I changed the pins. I only bought the pins and re-used the
> washers and the circular clip on each.
> Bob Silas
> Montreal

Dan,

I rode mine for years and tens of thousands of miles after I first noticed the
rattling. I finally changed them around 88K miles. I don't recommend waiting
that long.  A couple of the pins came out in pieces, but the carriers and
disks weren't damaged. See the three articles at http://ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml
, especially Mick's suggestion to re-orient the disk. Changing rollers is easy
to do with the wheel off the bike and doesn't take very long, either. There
was a noticable improvement in brake feel, but no change in brake performance
that I could detect.

Cheers,

Bob Covey
Thousand Oaks CA