RE: Warning lights...

Hi,
This is a  pic of the potentiometer that I believe is used by the RS.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/251608813_156be9876a.jpg?v=0

It is of the unit in my RT where the float "arm" can be seen.  The
potentiometer is un-used in the RT except for the low level fuel light
section.  There is a completely seperate sender for the fuel level in the
RT.

Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa
R850R
R1100RT
========
Greetings all,

I have a '94 R1100RS with ~85,000 miles accumulated. This past weekend I
rode
from eastern Tennessee up to Marietta OH (if you haven't been there, the
riding is terrific...and that's on the OH side of the river...West Virginia
is
just a stone's throw away too) and had no problems. I stopped for fuel a few

miles into OH and had about 65 miles on the odo when I parked Saturday
night. I,
fortunately, parked the bike just before getting hammered by a thunderstorm.

The bike was on the sidestand and seemed fine when I rode a couple of blocks

later in the evening (after the storm was long gone) while running an
errand.

Sunday morning I headed back to Tennessee and the bike immediately started
the following symptom. It has a 15 second alternation between the low fuel
warning light being on and then off. It's not a serious problem because the
fuel
gauge is working fine, but it's rather annoying. It crossed my mind that
this
alternating warning light, which I have never seen before even after running
the
tank pretty low at times, might be an indication of some other kind of
fault.
I've had the light come on lots of times, but haven't seen it alternate.

During the ride home I stopped and refueled. The gauge went right to the top

but the blinking continued. I always assumed the low fuel warning light was
on
a separate circuit than the fuel gauge and this seems to pretty well confirm

it.

Is this just a fuel sensor issue of some kind or could there be some other
electrical gremlin?

Thanks for your ideas,
Geoffrey Greene
Knoxville, Tennessee