Spline Lube, was hello?

I also went for a first ride on my '96 RT this weekend after getting the
bike back together after a spline lube that evolved into a clutch
replacement. As reported in my earlier post the transmission input
splines (at 50k miles) were dry but in good condition. Anyway, in my
case there was a big, and I mean really big, improvement in shifting as
a result of the spline lube. I guess whatever degradation that had
occurred over time was very gradual as before the work I wouldn't have
said that there was any problem (I went in for the spline lube as a
'just in case' measure, not to fix any particular issue) but wow, what
an improvement. Instead of the usual clunk I had grown accustomed to I
now can barely feel the gear change.

During my ride I was noting to myself how tight the bike felt and how I
could swear that the drivetrain and suspension actually felt better than
I remember when the bike was new (OK, the Works shocks may have helped a
little there). The bike is far from perfect and I have certainly done my
share of BMW bashing but I do have to credit the overall design with
really holding up well; the few other bikes I've kept as long as 50k
miles didn't exactly feel 'showroom fresh'. Guess I'll just put another
50k on it...

- - Seth