Beta Bikes

Robert, John & Bob -

I've been told by BMW America that the first 150 R11RS's were beta bikes
and that about 70 of those bikes were exported to the U.S.  Of the 70 that
came to the
states 14 had the German spec valve train/cams, cam timing.  I didn't know
my bike was "different" until BOB's BMW did a leakdown test and one head
was a bit "leaky", so they pulled the head and did a valve job-  when the
tech went to grind the valve seat the regular tool he used was too small,
which didn't make any sense until he measured the valves and found they
were a bit larger than other oilheads he'd worked on.  So when I got back
home I talked with a BMW tech in New Jersey and he clued me in on the
original bikes, and he later authorized the tranny replacements.

Running changes were made on this first production run.  Although the first
production run didn't have the RID as an installed option from the factory,
the displays and fairing panels were available to make it a dealer
installed option on the very first bikes. In the case of my bike, the
complete harness for the RID was taped to the main harness under the right
inner fairing panel, as was part of the wiring for the heated grips under
the left inner panel.  I was told the harness was there for the BMW
security system, and that's where they were wrong - very little of that
harness was there, so a lot of cutting and splicing (using the very nasty
German pins and connectors) was necessary.  But even then, a good, accurate
wiring harness diagram was available in the microfiche, which we printed to
an 11" x 14" hardcopy. It took about 3 ten hour days to install the
security system, which deactivates the fuel pump, flashes the lights,
signals, sounds the horn and disables the Motronic computer.  I kept all of
the original receipts/records for the bike setup.  The color matched
saddlebags were $725,  the heated grips were $175, theft alarm system was
$385, the RID (the display itself) was $380, and the right inner fairing
panel (with the RID surround) was $52.50.  There were no hourly charges
because I did all the work myself at the dealership, but I spent about 6
full days adding the accessories, swapping out the brake master cylinder,
re-doing the wiring for the alarm, etc. This was in February in western New
York, and the snow was a couple feet deep, so I got to know my new bike
inside out before I ever put a mile on it.

So Bob - when you were told $500 for the RID installed, that's about right
as the parts in 1994 were $432.50 + 1-2 hours to install it.

Gary Bechtold
'94 Beta RS
tyrohustler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: Re: '94 R11RSs

> Robert and Gary,
>
> I, too, purchased a beta '94 (Mar '93, # 80) RS in turquoise...no RID.
> Evidently the wiring harness was only partly there.  The rear section was
> not included, and, I understand, the RID cannot be retrofitted to those
> bikes.  Please let me know if I'm wrong.
>
> John Van Deren
> Montpelier, VT
>
> Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:59:13 -0400
> From: Robert Silas <robert.silas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: '94 R11RSs
>
> Hi John,
>
> > I understand, the RID cannot be retrofitted to those
> >bikes.  Please let me know if I'm wrong.
>
> Yes, this is what I was told by the dealer in Montreal, then in Essex
Junction BMW told me that they can do it for US$500.-.  I still do not have
it, I found the price too expensive, especially in Ca.$.

> BTW this Wednesday I'll be riding North on I-89 from N.H. to Montreal, so
I'll be passing by Montpelier.  If you'd like to sit down for a coffee
break in the "Le Brioche" please let me know a convenient time.