Re: Head bolt re-torquing

- -----Original Message-----
From: Tpcutter@xxxxxxx
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:47:24 EDT
Subject: Re: Head bolt re-torquing

In a message dated 4/8/05 10:08:22 AM Eastern  Standard Time,
dr.ben@xxxxxxxxx writes:
<<On previous boxers,  conscientious attentions to the head bolts and cylinder
studs were important.  Not so on the Oilheads where after the 600 mile check,
nothing but neglect to  the whole dozen of them - except for loosening two
studs for valve sideplay  adjustment.

Tom, you mention rocker arm sideplay.  will you please answer a quick question about that
I seem to have a lot more noise from the valves on the right side.  I have long suspected limited side play on the rocker arms.
When I check them they seem to be able to get the min feeler gage in if I sort of lift up on the rocker arm, is this the correct way to measure it or should I be able to get the feeler gage in with out exerting any side force on the rocker arm?
Would too tight of clearence make the valves noisy?
They are super quite until the bike get really warm and then they sound like a slash 5. Which I didn't find all that appealing when I actually owned a /5.

Thanks

Paige poole