Re: Making a decision

>I'm struggling with a choice:  I've got an opportunity to purchase a
>2001 non-ABS R1100RL with a Corbin, bags, Givi bikini shield and only
>3,500 miles, listed at $8,300 (a bit pricey that, no?)

Yes, that sound high.  I recall MSRP on new ones is $8999.

>OTOH, my local dealer (Bob's) has a couple of new 2004 R1100SAs, one
>with ABS and kitted out nicely (but no bags).  We haven't got down to
>the nut-cutting, but I'd guess it will go out around $13K plus.  And BMW
>has that nice incentive deal on those.

I have always liked the S.  I wanted to buy one back in the spring,
but BMW stopped production of them at the end of the 2004 model year
and none of the Philly/MD/VA area dealers had any (I contacted at
least 8).  I called the dealer I normally use and he told me that BMW
had ~ 15 bikes, all identically equipped (heated grips, ABS, high
bars, high windscreen, and center stand), in red, blue, and grey.  I
told him I wanted grey and ~10 days later, I drove it home.  I got
mine for just over 13K with bags, including the BMW incentive.

I love the S.  Great power, handling, and brakes, not to mention
killer appearance.  I ride mine around town (commuting) all the time.
Since I'm no longer 24 years old, I did purchase some bar backs from
these guys:

http://www.sdcsoftware.com/rapiddog/MAINFRAMESET.htm

BTW, I traded in my 2000 R1100R with ABS for the R1100S.  I liked the
R, but IMO, it pales in comparison to the S.  The S does not surge and
gets beter mileage while giving better performance.

>Or I could just throw $2-3K into my rather tired R75/6.

Nothing wrong with that either.  I like airheads

My first BMW was an R80ST.  That bike had "personality" and I do not
think the new ones do. Simple elegance is how I describe air-heads.
Oilheads can be user maintained, but it's harder than oilheads.

>Acknowledging that the last is off-topic, and that I really need to ride
>the first two to make what is ultimately a personal decision, can anyone
>supply or point me to resources that might inform my choice?

It's a very personal decision.  I made the right one for me.

Wayne Woodruff
http://www.jtan.com/~wayne