Re: Autolite 3923 washer

In a message dated 11/10/2005 6:06:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Tpcutter@xxxxxxx writes:

Tom, Tom, Tom,

You are answering questions like a politician. You are totally avoiding  one
of the questions and attempting to redirect the focus on the other.

Permit me to refresh your memory:
My first question in response to your statement: "DO NOT apply Anti-Seize to
spark plug threads. You will end up overtorquing the plug and stripping out
the thread in the head" was:
1) <<If one uses a Torque Wrench and tightens the plug to the recommended
torque setting (10 Nm for instance), how can the threads be stripped, regardless
of whether or not an anti-seize compound is used?>>

I really expected to see your answer to that question, which you avoided
completely, before you responded with demonstrated obfuscation to the question I
posed to your statement: "Many spark plug makers specifically say not to use
Anti-Seize", which was:
2) <<Specifically, who might that be, and by what means is this information
transmitted from these manufacturers to the end users?

Providing me with your "Elephant Dung" analogy was really a crappy response
and one that dodges the answers to my specific questions.

Directing me to "Search their websites for Installation Tips" is telling me
that I should go to the effort of proving that what you say is correct or
incorrect when I am questioning the authority with which you have made some
questionable (to me) statements. That is akin to a journalist making a statement and
expecting the reader/listener/viewer prove or disprove the validity of the
journalist's statement, when the principle of journalistic integrity places the
burden of proof on the journalist.

You have stated that you "started to do a search" but ran into websites from
AutoLite and Champion that were the same. Okay, I looked at those websites,
and ya-sure-ya-bet'cha, they were the same. SO WHAT? They did no more to answer
the questions I have asked than you have done?

You then directed me, as well as all other readers of this thread, to a
Saturn Service Campaign which reputedly stated: "If anti-sieze compound is used and
spark plugs are over-torqued, damaged to the cylinder head threads may
result."  DUH, YEAH! If ANY thread is over torqued by some ham fisted shade tree
mechanic who doesn't know a torque specification for an octane rating, it's more
than likely to get stripped. What does this have to do with whether or not
anti-seize compound is applied to the threads when the manufacturer's recommended
torque value is followed by someone using a torque wrench?(Refer to question
#1). And it still does not answer question #2 regarding the alleged
recommendation of spark plug manufacturers.

Please Tom, rather than dance around the questions I have asked in response
to statements you have made, just answer them directly. In the past, I have
really enjoyed your input to this List and have accepted your statements as being
credible. I expect that I am not the only reader of this List who feels the
same way. Please don't burst my bubble, and possibly that of others, by
continuing to answer these rather simple and straightforward questions as though you
were running for office. Of course, you could ignore this matter entirely,
leaving me and possibly others to our own conclusions.

Gary Prickett
Mission Viejo, CA