Re: valve adjustment - feeler friction

Mark wrote:

>I think this might be one of those things you just have to experience in
>person, but I'm in the middle of my first valve adjustment and am
>wondering about how much friction there should be on the feeler gauge.

>Since the answers to that would probably be vague, let me ask a more
>specific qualitative question instead:

>When the adjustment is correct, do the pivoting feet on the rocker arm
>have any angular/pivotal play in them? By 'feet' I mean the part that
>contacts a feeler gauge on its rocker-arm-facing side.

>I have it set where the feet are seen to barely, barely, barely pivot
>when I flex the feeler gauges... small enough that the range of motion
>is almost non-visible. Too tight? Too loose?

One way I check to see if I have the valve clearance adjusted too tight or
loose is using a  "go, no-go" method.  Lets say you have just set the
clearance at .006 inch.  Take your .007 feeler gauge and try to slip it
through the gap. If it slides through without forcing it, you are too
loose. If it doesn't slide through, then you know you are not on the loose
side.
Then take your .005 inch feeler gauge.  Try to slide it through.  If it
doesn't slide through easily, the gap is too tight.  If it slides through
easily, then the gap is set right.  Or in other words, if your .007 feeler
gauge is a "no-go" and your .005 feeler gauge is a "go", then you have it
set right. HTH.

John Veilleux
St. Bruno, Quebec
02 R1150RT