  From: Ben Barkow
  To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:11 AM
  Subject: Throttle shaft wear and TwinMax calibration (was ABS)

  I've been riding around with my dual vacuum gauges recently. With
  liter-sized engines, you get an awful lot of vacuum during engine
  braking. It goes beyond 20 inches of mercury. I'm not sure how far
  since you need to use heavy needle damping (AKA "snubbing") and so
  brief transients are hard to catch. Folks who only have TwinMaxs can
  check this using the Min scale with the meter connected to just one TB
  - see below. Using a TwinMax as a vacuum gauge might destroy your
  TwinMax meter so work carefully.

  If my understanding of pressure is correct, since an inch of mercury is
  like .5 psi, and with butterflies about 2 sq inches, you can have 20
  pounds tugging on the little butterfly shaft. So, I'd expect lots of
  shaft wear, as Paige has noted. And for fueling to work right, you need
  to have some degree of precision at small openings.

  I borrowed a TwinMax recently. Although I think dual vacuum gauges are
  the right way to tune, the  9 volt unit I borrowed was very nicely
  behaved and fair to the two sides - checked yours recently? Why not...
  do you believe in the Tooth Fairy?

  Here's how this unit was calibrated:

  Max: each meter number is one inch of mercury (plus or minus 3 for full
  scale)
  Middle: each number is 7 inches
  Min: each number is 10 inches

  I'd say you are well-synched when you have deviations within plus or
  minus half an inch, and particularly at the point that matters the
  most, that first take-up of the cable slack.

  Don't forget to re-connect your TB balance tube when the synch is over.

  Cheers.

  Ben

  Ben Barkow, Toronto... 39 seasons on Beemers, 44 as a biker

  1961 R69s/rod, 1967-1999... really sup'ed up and fast

  1984 R80RT/rod, 1998-2005  5 extra peak ponies in a wider flatter power
  band,
     much modified 2-into-1 exhaust, CR 9.5, Keihin PJ 34mm oval carbs,
     Uni filter, dual-rate springs with cartridge emulators, BT45/S11,
  Saeng fairing

  1999 R1100S, 2004- Leo Vince exh, JetHot coatings, Techlusion 1031,
     large sticky foam filter, TB balance tube, 26 inch windscreen, air
  horns, Diablo Stratas

  On 2005 Nov  12 , at 4:47 AM, oilheads-digest wrote:

  > Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:44:27 -0500
  > From: plpklt@xxxxxxx
  > Subject: Re: ABS
  >
  > A while back on the list there was mention and even a like to
  > replacment of the TB butterfly shaft.  Can anyone send me that link
  > again, and how hard is it to replace it?   My right Throttle body is
  > making so much noise with the rattling from the trottle cable plate
  > that the shaft must be very loose... It shoulds like I have never
  > adjusted the valvles but is just the plate making all that noise.  I
  > wouldn't believe it but if you touch it the noise stops so I'm
  > convienced.

  Paige