  From: Robert Brown
  To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 9:09 AM
  Subject: RE: How to make your EVO (powered) brakes less grabby (was "Re: ABS:)

  Bob:
  First you are never too old to take a course.  Take the Experienced Rider
  Course (ERC) every couple of years or whenever you change bikes.  It is a
  great place to practice skills in a controlled environment with a trained
  observer.  They do these every year at the MOA National plus you can contact
  your local training org.  Best way is to get 6-12 family and/or friends and
  do it together - really fun.

  Second covering the brakes with all four fingers is a good practice in
  limited situations: entering an intersection and in stop and go traffic.  It
  does speed up reaction time especially for us old farts.  Butt... be careful
  covering the brake - remember "4 to slow, 4 to go".

  Skipper
  ABQ NM

  On more thought - typically dropping a bike while braking is not a function
  of the brakes it is more that the bike is not straight - handlebars square
  and bike completely upright.  All it takes is a little turn and
  "bang!low-side".  I saw a novice on an R6 lock the front tire which raised
  the rear about 8" off the ground but because he was going straight he didn't
  drop it - matter of fact he didn't know it was up in the air.