Re: Valve Clearance

I don't have the experience to be a trustworthy poster, but I have been
running about 8 and 14 micromunchkins. My fun factor, with those modest
increases doesn't seem much impaired but maybe it is just my beautiful
baritone Leo Vince exhaust masking the clatter.

I think it was Lentini who suggested increasing gaps. Although I can't
figure the change in degrees, I suspect there are a few degrees of
change even with just two thou or so added, comparable to the fiddling
between models or model years. Anybody know for sure? For sure, I don't
give a hoot for HP at 7500 rpm but any extra low rpm grunt is a real
benefit, esp. with tall first gears (required by DOT??). That's the
purpose of slowing the valves.

I believe the downside is the extra hammering the valves get - not sure
if this is significant.

BTW, I am delighted with my NGK iridium, super shaved, extended tip,
and tiny pointy plugs (more spark exposure to the breeze): BKR 7 EIX
(8)

Want a look at my dyno curve? Drop me a line.

Ben
1999 R1100S