For GPS Junkies

Hello all,

For you GPS junkies, you may or may not be aware of NEXRAD, the "NEXt
generation weather RADar" that is used in many aircraft. It works by having
hundreds of weather stations across North America submit their data, in near
real-time, to a central repository which then sends it out via repeaters
(and now XM satellite) to receivers that can present this near-real-time
data as a weather radar image superimposed over a moving-map display.

What this means to aircraft, is that a plane without a weather radar can
have a visual display that is, well, like a weather radar. The advantage of
this is that you can safely operate it while on the ground, unlike a real
weather radar. It's also cheaper, and has a longer range.

So what does this mean to you, a motorcyclist? Imagine a scenario in which
you are taking a long trip, and you can look at an LCD display and see
weather information superimposed over terrain and street data. Picture
seeing an image that depicts a heavy storm front approaching with lots of
lightning and heavy winds, or worse still, tornados. As a rider, unlike an
aircraft, you likely cannot outrun a storm or ride around it, but you can
make decisions that are more "in tune" with the weather, such as deciding to
put on the rain gear because there is a fair bit of rain on the other side
of the mountain pass, or deciding to head for shelter at a hotel because a
serious storm is only a few miles away.

I just saw that Garmin has a GPS that includes NEXRAD technology. It's in
the "Aviation" section, but it is multi-mode, to accommodate a "car" mode
(that would include us riders), and a "marine" mode. I have not looked into
this in any detail, but I thought some list members may find it interesting.
It also has voice annunciation for turn-by-turn instructions, and XM Radio
for entertainment.

Visit http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap396/. The unit lists for around
US$2200, so deep pockets are a must (we all make 6+ figure incomes, being
BMW riders, right?) Now, if we combined this technology with real-time
traffic data that could influence auto-routing (and assuming that we
traveled areas that provided traffic data), then we'd have one serious
killer GPS.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada