  From: Steve Makohin
  To: IBMWR List ; Oilheads List
  Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 11:27 AM
  Subject: For GPS Junkies

  Hello all,

  For you GPS junkies, you may or may not be aware of NEXRAD, the "NEXt
  generation weather RADar" that is used in many aircraft. It works by having
  hundreds of weather stations across North America submit their data, in near
  real-time, to a central repository which then sends it out via repeaters
  (and now XM satellite) to receivers that can present this near-real-time
  data as a weather radar image superimposed over a moving-map display.

  What this means to aircraft, is that a plane without a weather radar can
  have a visual display that is, well, like a weather radar. The advantage of
  this is that you can safely operate it while on the ground, unlike a real
  weather radar. It's also cheaper, and has a longer range.

  So what does this mean to you, a motorcyclist? Imagine a scenario in which
  you are taking a long trip, and you can look at an LCD display and see
  weather information superimposed over terrain and street data. Picture
  seeing an image that depicts a heavy storm front approaching with lots of
  lightning and heavy winds, or worse still, tornados. As a rider, unlike an
  aircraft, you likely cannot outrun a storm or ride around it, but you can
  make decisions that are more "in tune" with the weather, such as deciding to
  put on the rain gear because there is a fair bit of rain on the other side
  of the mountain pass, or deciding to head for shelter at a hotel because a
  serious storm is only a few miles away.

  I just saw that Garmin has a GPS that includes NEXRAD technology. It's in
  the "Aviation" section, but it is multi-mode, to accommodate a "car" mode
  (that would include us riders), and a "marine" mode. I have not looked into
  this in any detail, but I thought some list members may find it interesting.
  It also has voice annunciation for turn-by-turn instructions, and XM Radio
  for entertainment.

  Visit http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap396/. The unit lists for around
  US$2200, so deep pockets are a must (we all make 6+ figure incomes, being
  BMW riders, right?) Now, if we combined this technology with real-time
  traffic data that could influence auto-routing (and assuming that we
  traveled areas that provided traffic data), then we'd have one serious
  killer GPS.

  -Steve Makohin
   '01 R1100S/ABS
   Oakville, Ontario, Canada