Re: For GPS Junkies

Steve Makohin wrote:
> I just saw that Garmin has a GPS that includes NEXRAD technology. It's
> in the "Aviation" section, but it is multi-mode, to accommodate a "car"
> mode (that would include us riders), and a "marine" mode. I have not
> looked into this in any detail, but I thought some list members may find
> it interesting. It also has voice annunciation for turn-by-turn
> instructions, and XM Radio for entertainment.
>
> Visit http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap396/. The unit lists for
> around US$2200, so deep pockets are a must (we all make 6+ figure
> incomes, being BMW riders, right?) Now, if we combined this technology
> with real-time traffic data that could influence auto-routing (and
> assuming that we traveled areas that provided traffic data), then we'd
> have one serious killer GPS.

Actually, the Garmin 376 <http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap376c/>
also has NEXRAD/XM, and is $1700 cheaper ($999 MSRP, available for ~$815
in various places). It *doesn't* have the Jeppesen database stuff that
aviators need (and motorcyclists don't), so if you're not a flyer, save
some bucks!

Be advised that neither come with the detailed maps (City
Select/Navigator) that are most useful to us, and cost ~$140.

- --
Fulton Martin
__=o&o>__
fulton@xxxxxxxxx