S riding position vs RT riding position + Comment on compression

Steve:

>As an R1100S rider of 6 years, virtually all of that with low clip-ons, I
>can only say it works really well for me. On a 1850 km trip (2 days) to
>Florida, my back was in fine shape, with soreness only in my legs (I'm 6'2",
>46 years old, 185 lbs) from the tight riding position, in spite of
>fuel/water/bio breaks every 2 hours.

I have an Aprilia Mille R.   I've taken a couple of long rides with it.   I
feel the same about it.  My back is always great.  In fact, if I don't get
enough exercize and start feeling my back getting sore, I go out on this bike
a few times to strengthen things.   It seems to actually relieve back
pain....BUT.   My issue is with the position of my head when leaned over like
this.   The natural position is to look at the pavement about 15 feet in front
of the bike.   If one is looking through corners like one is supposed to, the
head has to be bent up unnaturally.  In city traffic, where there are traffic
lights and all manner of stationary and moving obstacles to monitor, and at
lower speeds, this position becomes annoyingly painful.   If one straight arms
the bars to get a better look, control is gone and shoulders start absorbing
compressions, which makes them sore in a hurry.

The legs do get a workout as well.   at 185 and 6'2", you must be all legs and
arms.   I am just the opposite, short legs, long trunk, large bones.   5'11"
185#.    I use my legs to hold up my torso when there is not enough forward
progress for the wind to do it.  I think this is what strengthens my lower
back.   My legs do get sore from being folded so much for so long.   The pegs
are really high on the Mille too.

>I really like the ergonomics because they give me a "connected" feeling with
>the bike -- In close, and personal. I stress this is a personal preference
>rather than an empirical judgment on "better" or "worse".

I totally get that.    If you want to feel "in close and personal", try a 400
pound Mille some time.   Great balance shafted 60 degree V-twin with a 10K red
line.   Pretty addictive.

>When I took a new R1200RT for a ride, the "sit up and beg" position felt
alien to me. The bars
>were too high for what I was used to. It was still an immensely enjoyable
ride.

I agree that the RT takes some getting used to.   It took me nearly a year to
really figure out what my first one needed in terms of rider input to get the
best out of it.  The 1200RT requires slightly different rider inputs than the
oilhead RTs...a little more intuitive than the old bikes, but still quite
different from an S or other sport bikes, which can be ridden pretty
intuitively.   All RTs can be ridden damned hard once you learn to use the
bikes weight in your leaning equation and to keep your eyes out on the road
and not on the windscreen or dash.   I still like riding my (third) RT as much
as any other bike on real roads.   If I would change anything about an RT, it
would be to make the fairings easier to remove for service.

My 1200RT has peg extenders, bar RISERS a cee baileys oversized wind screen,
Fully adjustable Wilburs suspension, seat on low setting.   I love this setup.
The rear shock on the stock R12RT lacks enough rebound control.   The key to
keeping the back healthy on an RT is to have good rear suspension and a good
seat.   I sent my seat out to Meyer two weeks ago for re-working.   It's late.
Hope it comes today.

>Note that the R1100S's "low" clip ons are ape-hangers compared to a "real"
>sports bike, like a GSX-R1000 or an R1. The bars are mounted well above the
>knees, but below a "bolt upright" position. They look a lot more "sport
>bike" than they truly are.

I know.   I put Cycle Cat adjustable clip-ons on my Mille last year.   It
helps a little.   I think they're about at the "S" height now.
It's more difficult to get really down on the tank now for track days, but I
use a tank bag on the street anyway.   Next track day, I may try and adjust
the bars down to stock again.

>> Easily fixed, Bruno, just leave the break in oil in for 10,000 miles or
>> so.
> >Compression will go down!!!

>They smooth out over about 40,000 km, and compression appears to have little
to do with the smoothing out. Riders with more miles on the clock report
their Oilheads' vibrations diminishing, and fuel economy increasing over
that period.

Steve, I met this as mechanic's humor.  ie wear out the rings and the
compression will go down.  Maybe I should have suggested running the bike
without oil???

- -TB