Re: S riding position vs RT riding position + Comment on compression

Hello all,

From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>

[snip all]

The one thing I want to add about the R1100S, is that it's a wonderful
all-around bike (for me) that has a blend of sportability and tourability,
with a leaning towards sport (the high pegs are not touring friendly). The
big System Cases add to the utility, letting me carry a good sized laptop
(on an angle), and a week's worth of house-visit clothes and toiletries (and
a gift for my hosts).

The new R1200S seems to be BMW's answer to "more sport". It's about 30 lbs
lighter and 20% more powerful than the R1100S. And yet, the smooth engine
and relatively comfortable ergonomics tell you it could be no worse than an
R1100S for a long ride, and in some ways (less vibes), notably better. The
R1200S would be a perfect replacement for the R1100S if it could only
accommodate large System Cases rather than the smallish "sport bags" that
are offered as an option.

Note also that the R1200S has optional (switchable) ABS on unlinked,
unboosted brakes, whereas the 2001 through 2005 R1100S has semi-linked,
servo-assisted brakes with optional ABS. The R1200S brakes' feel was
excellent (better than the R1100S with whizzy brakes), as you would expect
in unboosted brakes. Still, as much as I don't like the feel of whizzy
brakes, I prefer knowing that I have that extra measure of safety when
riding in anything less than "100% on the game" conditions.

Steve's Editorial (Feel free to hit the Delete key now):

Someone asked me, if I like the R1200S so much, why don't I replace my
R1100S with the R1200S? Here are my reasons. Some may apply to you as well:

o My current bike is paid for. It would cost me CAD$14K, + taxes
  on CAD$24K to buy a new S with optional cases and ABS. That's
  CAD$17,600, or thereabouts to step up from my old R1100S to
  a new R1200S.

o The above price includes the optional sport bags. Which is my
  second gripe. When I do travel, I want some space. The sport bags
  are intended to just provide *some* storage for short trips. They
  are obviously not designed for meaningful storage or for long trips,
  as are the System Cases. Give BMW a year or two to figure that
  out and make large bags available.

o I love that new smooth engine. The LCD bar for remaining fuel
  and a distance counter to empty is a nice touch too. I like the looks
  a lot. But is a new R1200S worth CAD$17,600 more than my
  current used R1100S? Not for me. That's why I'm keeping what I
  have. And loving it.

If I had to buy a new bike today, and only own one bike, I'd still get an
R1100S. That just reflects my values, and a bike that fits them well, as
opposed to the R1100S being such an outstanding bike. It suits me really
well.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada