clutch control failure

Definitely having a problem with the clutch system.. 02/97 R1100R..

If you follow the clutch cable from the handgrip, down along the side of
the engine, you get to a lever where the cable attaches. Its item 6
here, shown vertical instead of horizontal as on the bike:

http://ascycles.com/Illustrated_catalog/r1100r(95-99)/images/r1100r(95-99)61.gif

The rubber boot (number 5) was completely torn circumferentially at the
lever-side. I'm not sure how long it has been that way but I assume it
has to have been no earlier than mid-February (7k mi ago) when I had the
clutch plate etc replaced.

The problem I'm having is *like* the rod (number 1) isn't pushing back
on the lever. The small spring (number 3) in there doesn't seem to be
broken.

There were some small (1" long, 1/8" thin) shredded and disfigured
shards bound up in the area between the spring and piston. They feel
like plastic. (Is the piston plastic? Did it shred in the absence of a
grease-filled boot and jam? I wonder...)

The engine runs. The bike drives/rides/whatever. I was about a block
from where I was going when the clutch lever went soft - had just
completed a 40mi ride on the highway. I downshifted while slowing to a
stop, so I can shift, but as far as I can tell the clutch isn't disengaging.

That's about all I have to go on at this point. Just kind of looking for
"oh yeah that might be X, Y, or Z problem" or any thoughts before I take
it in to have the dealership look at it.

Thanks,
Mark