Re: The Low-Down on Bike ABS, Linked and EVO Brakes

Hello all,

From: "Mick" <bmwmick@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> At 12:55 PM 6/14/2006 -0400, John Dancoe wrote:
>>Steve
>>
>>Nice write-up. I'm gratified your description of "when ABS doesn't shine"
>>described the effect I experienced perfectly, and agreed completely with
>>my
>>theory of the cause; maybe my diatribes provided source material for that
>>section?
>>
>>At any rate, the R1200S looks better and better to me all the time--in
>>part
>>because it has an ABS switch.
>
> John,
>   Not only does it have an ABS OFF switch, it has NO SERVO MOTORS. : ))

I ride a whizzy '01 R1100S. I test rode a new R1200S with ABS for about an
hour. I instantly noticed how good the brakes felt. It quickly dawned on me
that the R1200S's ABS is non linked, and without EVO (no servo/power
assist). Within a few minutes, I started an hour long test ride on an
R1200RT, which has ABS, linked brakes, and EVO. The brakes felt different,
but still really good. I didn't notice any over boosting or grabbiness. The
felt more sensitive than non-whizzy brakes, but a lot better than my '01
whizzys.

I suggest that interested folks try the new whizzy brakes for themselves.
Don't hate them because they feel different. Ask yourself if, after a little
getting used to, are they good brakes? I believe you'll conclude, no, they
are not good. They're *really* good:-)

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada