Re: Alternator Belt service

In a message dated 7/30/06 6:44:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, PGK75S@xxxxxxx
writes:
Os it the case that the ELAST belts must be retensioned after a  specified
mileage and the older style only gets tensioned at  installation?>>

Exactly the opposite. The ELAST belts, introduced on the July 2003 50A
models are NEVER retensioned, once they are set up using the BMW pulley setting
tool. The earlier belts get ONE and only ONE retensioning, 6000 miles after
initial fitting. The earlier belts and the ELAST belts are to be changed at
36,000 mile intervals, regardless of visible condition.

Failure of the  belt can cause related damage to the HES unit (the ignition
trigger) which gets  damaged by the belt thrashing the wires off.

Also, belt failure can lead  to dropping battery voltage, which can lead to
ABS and Servo Brake failure while  underway.

Has anybody experienced a brake failure of the Servo-Equipped  brakes? I
would like to ask you some questions related to that. Please contact  me offlist.

Tom Cutter
Yardley,  PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com